Sunday, September 15, 2013

Grapes of Wrath

I am a little late posting about this, but since I missed the class discussion about this film, I will talk about it here.

I enjoyed Grapes of Wrath. It was a depressing look at poverty and how people were treated during the great depression. The family this film follows would have been just as happy not having much other than their land and each other, but instead are forced off of their own property. I can not imagine how hard it was on those families moving from campsite to campsite begging for work.

I remember after my grandmother passed away, we found some strange items in her house that she had saved. They were all neatly organized because she was meticulous like that, but it was really bizarre. I asked my mom why grandma would have saved every pill bottle from the last several years or plastic bags, newspapers, and such. My mom explained that many people of her age (who were alive during the depression) still save everything because as children, they had to. It blew my mind. Although my grandmother's family did not struggle like the family depicted in this film, hers, like most families, went through their own tough times.

I think this film represented the time period well. Although it was sad and infuriating at times because of the way they were treated, I enjoyed this movie. Check out the trailer below. It is much different than the trailers we see today.

No comments:

Post a Comment