Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Stepford America. . .Easy Rider

Stepford America. . .
I know some of my classmates didn’t like the movie for multiple reasons, one being “lack of story line”. 
Try to realize that this movie was not meant to have a story line; rather it was meant to be an overall implication of the times.    It was basically a representation of kids that had grown up in the ‘Stepford America' of the 50’s (think Father Knows Best or My three Sons -Peter and Denis could just have well been  Robby and Skip – or was it Chip –later on in their lives), that had now reneged on its promise of the American Dream.  Nixon was serving up the Vietnam War on a bloody platter from a safe position inside their TV set.  We lost almost 60,000 young men, and all of their children and grandchildren etc.
Anyway, I cannot say that I enjoyed the movie for its story line either – and some parts were especially hard to sit through.  However, I appreciate being reminded of that era and how the ‘youth’ of America stood up to, and challenged authority and the conventional norms.
And, I loved the bikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment