Tuesday, March 5, 2013

This Film is Not Yet Rated

I LOVE documentaries.  They are typically very telling, or in this case, not so telling about very specific topics.  I found myself wondering how would I feel if I were in the shoes of making movies, worrying about the ratings, and would those feelings be comparative to the other directors who have had the MPAA rate their movies with NC-17 ratings, which appears to be such a taboo within the industry.  On one hand, from the parental perspective, I think having the ratings are vital to let me know what may or may not be appropropriate conduct for my child to see.  However, I do realize that in this day and age of society, that children are exposed to heavy doses of violence, sexual themes, adult situations just by watching TV shows, or possibly even in their own households.  I think in this situation, we have the MPAA being / playing Devil's Advocate within the industry, creating a "game" of politics or sides.  I can completely understand some of the directors' points, but also have to wonder why their guidelines seem to change depending on the film, or who made the film.  It completely needs an overhaul, in my opinion, just like our own government.  Until the two sides come together, not much may ever be changed, or achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment