Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Public Enemy

I thought it was very interesting that Warner Bros. decided to put a disclaimer about a life of crime at the end of the movie as not to be critized for glamourizing the gangster. I find that that role is not only glamourized in movies today, but almost made out to be heroic. For example, in the recent film Public Enemies Johnny Depp plays a notorious bank robber, John Dillinger. Even though he isn't a moral man I was still rooting for him through the whole movie. I even felt that when he was killed it was unfair. Something I thought was different was the scene where Tom Power's father beats him with a belt. We never see child-punishment in the media like that anymore. If anything children are controlling their parents. I thought it was funny when Tom Powers said going to school meant learning how to be poor. Well, if that's the case I have spent alot of money at Eckerd just to learn how to be poor. Also, what was the deal with the cop who flat out shot Larry. Could they do that back then? Then all the cops were sitting around drinking beer saying, "he got what was coming." He was a kid. They broke into a building, they didn't kill anyone. Seems alittle extreme to me to shoot him like that. The main thing I noticed in the film was how sexually suggestive it was. There did not have to be any sex scenes the characters langage and actions were enough to paint a picture of their intenetions. For example, while Patty's wife is trying to seduce Tom she says, "I want to do things for you Tommy." Gwen Allen was also pretty forward. Lastly a quote I will never forget from this movie is, "I wish you was a wishin' well so I could tie a bucket to you and sink ya." Wow. I don't even know what to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment