Monday, February 20, 2012

Public Enemy

I really enjoyed Public enemy i had not seen it before and i really enjoy the gangster style genre. I especially like the 1930's prohibition, pin stripe suit, bowl hat style portrays of this kind. I believe the movie followed the typical gangster style the rise from nothing, the accession to power, the living the high life and the fall from grace or in this case death for tom and larry!

Interesting that Warner Bro's put out the disclaimer at the end discussing how this is the fate of every public enemy and that it is a societal problem that needs to be addressed. Cagney's performance was unique still not quite sure i liked his performance there is something that eats away at me. I agree he deserved the lead role ahead of the actor who played Larry he Cagney certainly had more screen presence. I think what i didn't like was i felt Cagney was acting for the camera and sometimes i felt as though he acknowledged it was there; taking away from the experience for me personally.

I don't know i may be way off base, but on the whole another enjoyable movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment