Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sunset Boulevard

So, when you mentioned the name of this movie in class I didn't recognize it as something I had seen. However, as the movie began and the plot thickened I was sure I had seen it before. That wonderful, but eerie scene at the end where Norma said, "Alright Mr. DeMille I'm ready for my close up" is something I could never forget. I think it was interesting when Norma was explaining her silent film days in comparison to the new sound films. She told Gillis that they didn't need dialoge because they used their faces. I agree with this. I think acting must have been alot harder without sounds. Every body movement and every facial expression had to be just right to get the correct message across to the audience. I thought the cigarette finger holder was pretty cool. When Mr. Gillis went to the New Year's Eve party he told Betty Shaffer they could talk in the Rainbow room, but they sat in a bathroom. Were bathrooms called Rainbow rooms? I thought Norma's quote, "I'm not selling the script, I'm selling me" was profound. I absolutely believe a script is nothing without the right actor or actress to bring the characters to life. I am alittle confused about the Pharmacy scene. Mr. Gillis went in to buy Norma cigarattes and ran into Betty and Artie. Betty was eating a sandwhich. The sign on the front of the store said Pharmacy on top and then breakfast, lunch and dinner. That seems alittle odd to put those two together. I forget who said it, but someone in the film mentioned that people think actors make it up as they go. When I am watching a film I never think about how long it took the actors to memorize their lines or if they are sticking to the script. I just watch the film as if it was real life happening right before me eyes. I thought that is was so cute that Max took care of Norma. He really did love her. I loved the scene where they are driving in the car and he tells her that the makeup over her left eye in not quite balanced. I hope a guy will look out for me in that way one day. Max even made sure she was in the spot light in the end. One line from the film reminded me of my mom. Mr. Gillis tells Betty that the trouble with readers is that they know all the plots. My mom reads ALOT. She always has. Everytime we watch a movied with her she ruins it becase she figures out the end half way through. Most of the time she is right. This movie really does expose the struggles and successes of stardom.

1 comment:

  1. "Rainbow Room" is a reference to a swanky bar in LA at the time. Schwab's Pharmacy was a real place that is a bit of a Hollywood legend. Lana Turner was said to have been "discovered" there, although that was the product of a publicist's imagination.

    In those days a pharmacy very often had a lunch counter.

    Script readers do know all the plots. They read up to several hundred scripts per year. some of them work on a full-time basis for the studios and larger production companies.

    ReplyDelete