Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Double Indemnity/Detour

I enjoyed both of these movies, each were well done. In Double Indemnity, I thought it was a little strange that Neff would fall in love so fast and be willing to kill for her. All and all the movie had some good twists.

Detour was a little darker in my opinion the Double Indemnity, and I knew that I knew there was trouble for Al the minute that he picked up Vera. This movie was more of the bad things happening to a not so bad of a guy. In reality, Tom Neal who played Al Roberts personal life  was like a Film Noir. He had beaten a rival actor/boyfriend Franchot Tone into a coma, over Barbara Payton in 1951. Then in 1965, he shot his third wife, Gale Bennett, in the back of the head with a  45, killing her. The state of California wanted the death penalty, but he was only convicted on manslaughter serving 6 years in prison. In Film Noir style, he died less than a year later.


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, and bizarre about Tom Neal. I did like both movies as well, but Vera was rather annoying. I didn't mind seeing her die, but I didn't get why Al Roberts got into the police car. Did they find out he was stealing the dead man's identity? Either way, I liked watching Double Indemnity. Fred MacMurray was very good, yet unlike him to do a role like that.

    ReplyDelete