Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Long Goodbye

Robert Altman is a film-maker I had always had an affection for, however after watching The Long Goodbye, not once but twice. Even after a second time of viewing this film I was completely dis-satisfied. This film starred Elliot Gould a great actor who has starred in many films and in the films that i have seen him in I was always impressed, until this film. First and foremost, I sincerely hope the lack of quality acting was more of a spoof. If not that film should not of been made. The film was very predictable once the plot was revealed, once the police showed up at Phillip Marlow's house the rest of the film became predictable. One of the most noticeable things was the amount of smoking Elliot Gould's character did during the film. What was the purpose? One of the more funnier moments in the film is when the two dogs were having sex, what purpose did that have in the film? Henry Gibson played the Doctor, and has always played more interesting characters in films and television. The surprise person in the film was Arnold Schwarzenegger as one of the bodyguards. I'm glad it was not a speaking role, one could only imaging the thickness of his accent back in 1973.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post, the film was actually disappointing and rather uninteresting. I also could not make the connection to much either, such as why he was smoking so much or what the crazy author's purpose in the movie was for. It just didn't capture me the way many other films have, but now I can say I've seen the film. It was fun to see the Governator, but I'm also glad he didn't speak.

    ReplyDelete