Friday, February 1, 2013

Shane - Not Your Average Western

I enjoyed.the movie Shane for several reasons. The scenery and music helped to move the film along for one thing. You could always tell when something threatening was going to happen and in some scenes, the horses seemed to be trotting to the music that was playing. The scenery was quite beautiful and helped to show why the homesteaders did not want to leave their land. At times, I kept wondering why the men kept going into town when they new that there would be trouble, but I guess that is explained by the times that the movie takes place in. I thought the acting of the main characters was very good and each of them held their own in the story and they didn't just take up space because they were the stars of their era. All in all, a very enjoyable movie for a Friday evening!

3 comments:

  1. This was my second time watching Shane and this time I picked up on a few subtle events that I had not noticed before. One was when the homesteader was killed, his dog was so distraught. the dog cried during the funeral when they were laying him in the ground and I thought that was so sweet. Maybe this touched me because i just lost our family dog. The other scene was right after the killing, when he was being brought home on horseback and they passed one of the other farms, the one with the large family, and there was a scene where the little girl, the youngest in the scene, raised her hand and waved not really understanding what had happened, and her sister gently put her hand on her sisters and pushed it down, as to say, not now. This was a very sweet scene and really showed the innocence of the story. I really like this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more scene was at the funeral when the homesteaders house was set fire and they were trying to convince the family to stay and rebuild, the wife made a cutting comment about how her husband never got around to building that room for the girls....funny and very out of character for the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this movie. I am pretty sure I watched this as a young child with my mother as some scenes seemed very familiar especially the end of the movie. What I noticed most was the music (sometimes it sounded like music from the Wizard of Oz :) ). The acting was very good. I felt for all the characters and even kind of understood Ryker's point of anger, because of his past struggles. I also noticed the amount of dogs and realized the importance they may have had during that time.

    ReplyDelete