Saturday, February 9, 2013

Lady Eve - Snake Charmer

I enjoyed watching Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck in this romantic comedy because their chemistry in this film was simply magical. The premise of a cardsharp falling in love with her very handsome and rich potential victim is in itself fairly predictive, but the characters work so well together it is impossible not to like this film. Barbara Stanwyck really outdid herself in this one by playing two characters who spoke with different accents. Henry Fonda was very funny as a scientist who had no clue when it came to women. This film was funny and held my interest even though this is not a movie I would have chosen to watch on my own on a Saturday afternoon. I am looking forward to other movies with these actors and in this genre, particularly those written and directed by Preston Sturges.

From Wikipedia:

  
Theatrical release poster
Directed byPreston Sturges
Produced byPaul Jones
Buddy G. DeSylva(uncredited)
Written byPreston Sturges
Based on"Two Bad Hats" by
Monckton Hoffe
StarringBarbara Stanwyck
Henry Fonda
Music byPhil Boutelje
Charles Bradshaw
Gil Grau
Sigmund Krumgold
John Leipold
Leo Shuken
(all uncredited)
CinematographyVictor Milner
Editing byStuart Gilmore
Distributed byParamount Pictures
Release date(s)
  • February 25, 1941
Running time94 minutes
CountryUnited States
LanguageEnglish
Budget$660,000[1]


4 comments:

  1. This film I truly enjoyed. Barbara Stanwyk(Jean) was the best. Not only did she beauty, but she could really act. The story was funny, how this woman caught the attention of Henry Fonda's character (Charles Pike) when there were so many other women on the ship who too were trying to get his attention. I guess her charm and con-artist attitude won. The premise was great girl gets boy, girl loses boy, and girl changes character and gets boy back. I see that falling in-love on a cruise ship is rather easy. You meet, have a moment with a shoe, and then the next thing you know, you are proposing marriage. AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too enjoyed this movie. Especially the end where everything comes together and they are both married. Henry's character was clueless, but added to this movies likability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite character was Muggsey or Ambrose the body guard played by William Demarest except I did not know that until I looked it up. As I was watching I could not place him but now I know he was Charley on My Three Sons. I liked the movie. Ther were times it was silly, especially the dinner party when he fell over and was caught up in the curtains, loved watching the young Henry Fonda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The film was pretty fun, I thought it was funny how Barbara Stanwyk's character was holding the mirror at the beginning on the boat while watching women approach Henry Fonda. Her performance was great!

    ReplyDelete