Tuesday, January 29, 2013

MARX BRO > DUCK SOUP


This was my first Marx Brothers film. I had seen these faces in the past but, wasn't sure who they were until now. Coming from a totally different era of comedy, is was a little difficult to find the acting "funny" but I was able to appreciate  the overall persona of each actor. I am sure this kind of comedy was much appreciated during this time.

After doing a little research, it seems that it was not only films they produced but, they also performed on Broadway. Prior to my research, I did think to myself, that this kind of acting and film would probably be much better live on-stage than in a film.

It was great work on their behalf during this time period. I am not sure if the "one-liners" were already popular but, if they weren't,  "Groucho" had definitely mastered them. They had a well diversified mix of comedy within the films. They dabbled in everything from  the"one-liners" to "sexual innuendos " that would have probably been fairly explicit at the time.

The family of brothers had great success playing out their personal roles, as each character carried on through the history of their Broadway shows and film-making careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment