Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Public Enemy and Bride of Frankenstein

Couldn't help but notice that both The Public Enemy and Bride of Frankenstein took advantage of strong male characters as opposed to Notorious and The Grapes of Wrath where women dominated the families in the story. I especially enjoyed The Public Enemy which reminded me of The Sopranos. The similarities between Tom Powers and Tony Sopranos was  very evident in almost every scene where James Cagney had a glimmer in his eye because he knew what was coming and he seemed to enjoy his occupation. I was always fascinated when Tony Soprano made that type of knowing face and now I know where he got it from.

In the Bride of Frankenstein, I was expecting that the "bride" would be in love with Frankenstein's monster when she saw him for the first time and I was quite surprised when she was not pleased at all when she laid eyes on him. I haven't seen a "horror" movie since Linda Blair spit green pea soup in The Exorcist when I was sixteen. I was so scared after seeing that movie that I couldn't sleep for three days. Frankenstein didn't scare me like that, so hopefully I will sleep nightmare free tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment