Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hair.

Flow it. Show it. Long as God can grow it.

Four years ago I worked the lights at a "Broadway cabaret" and was introduced to many songs with which I had not been familiar, among them "The Age of Aquarius." Since then, I've suspected that I would like the musical of its origin, "Hair." I rather enjoyed the way the choreography was handled during this number and the movie in general; in keeping with the atmosphere of freedom and individuality, the dancers were synchronized yet delightfully unconstrained by the traditional formalist notion of indistinguishable steps and pirouettes. There were several other songs I particularly enjoyed, such when Woof sings "Sodomy, Fellatio, Cunnilingus, Peredasty. Father, why do these words sound so nasty? Masturbation can be fun. Join the holy orgy. Kama Sutra, everyone!" to three young high-society ladies on horseback. When Hud, an African-American, sings "Colored Spade" he's wryly listing off various self-deprecating racial epithets, but mixed in with them is the declaration that he's "President of the United States of Love." The song seemed to have an added dimension to it now given the results of the '08 election. The scenes which accompanied the pro-miscegenation "Black Boys" and "White Boys" were well done and quite funny. The somber juxtaposition of Berger's death right before the upbeat "Let the Sunshine In" was as unexpected as the revelation of his death was sudden.

One of the better quips from the film:

Prison Psychiatrist: And men?
Woof: What do you mean...?
Prison Psychiatrist: You have any sexual attraction towards men?
Woof: You mean if I'm a homosexual or something like that?
Prison Psychiatrist: Yeah.
Woof: Well, I wouldn't kick Mick Jagger out of my bed, but uh, I'm not a homosexual, no.

Also, I adored Jeannie's character:

Jeannie (carrying either Hud's or Woof's child): I'm not into any heavy preference trip... like who the father is. I don't care. I think they're both beautiful. Don't you?
Hud's Fiancee: But how can you not care about that? If a woman carries a child, don't you think she should know who the father is?
Jeannie: I admit that I have this dilemma. But it will be resolved real soon. It's not like a big crisis or anything. It's not like a world war. I don't know what you're so uptight about.
Hud's Fiancee: I fell in love with someone. We had a child, and we were gonna get married. That's why I'm uptight.
Jeannie: Yeah?
Hud's Fiancee: And you're holding it up!
Jeannie: I'm not holding it up. You don't see the way it is. This is really a great thing that's happened to all of us. Everybody's really happy about it. The guys are really happy. I think it would be great if you could be happy about it too.
Hud's Fiancee: You're crazy.
Jeannie: Yeah I'm crazy. We're all crazy. Let's shake on it.

Whatever happened to free love anyhow?
A couple interesting facts I came across:
An astrologer was consulted for when the original musical ought to open on Broadway.
Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp) welcomes the children to his factory with lyrics from the one of the songs: "Good morning starshine, the Earth says hello!"
I've spared you a plot summary. Just make sure you watch it at some point if you haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment