Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)


Originally a British comedy stage show in the early 1970s, The Rocky Horror Picture Show has since become a film, a Broadway production, and is currently still running as an interactive "midnight movie" in theaters across the country. I had never seen the movie before high school when I was dragged into a midnight screening of it at Flipper's Cinema in Hollywood, FL. The experience was scarring, frightening, and strangely enjoyable. I left the theater 3 hours later with my hair full of glitter and puffed rice. However, I had little desire to go back and the film itself had been rather disappointing. My friends, who were actors in the production, would hear none of it. To the massive cult following, speaking ill of TRHPS is like debasing a treasured deity.

I visited the showing at Flipper's about 2 or 3 times, and even saw the performers here at the Beach Theater (all thanks to my fanatic friends from high school). While I thought I'd had my lifetime fill of novelty dildos and screaming men in lingerie, I decided to watch the film in the safety of my own room... without the threat of pelvic thrusts to the back of my head. I found I enjoyed the film itself substantially more than I had. I discovered a plot that I hadn't noticed before (fancy that!) and although I still hesitate to call myself a fan, the uniqueness and immeasurable weirdness of The Rocky Horror Picture Show has gained my respect. It's not Oscar-worthy, but the soundtrack, Tim Curry's masterful performance, and its influence on youth culture is enough for Rocky Horror "virgins" to take a look.

- Sam Hagar

No comments:

Post a Comment